Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Speaking to my Lights.

When I was born my Aunt looked at me and said, "Wow, look at her. She is regal." I still haven't figured out why my Aunt said that, and why my parents still say the same thing. In my Patriarchal blessing it says that I "will be treated as a princess wherever I go." But why? I wish I understood.

My dear sweet Grandfather, Royal Meservy always called me his "little Princess." Every time we saw each other he would just hug me and say "oh Leah, oh my little Princess. You'll do great things." But what great things Grandpa?

He informed me that I'm his little princess. And the city lights are all those who will be there for me in time of need. I just need to look at the city lights to remember how many people care about me.
Well Grandpa I do. And I just did tonight. Every night I am out driving past dark I always take a quick left instead of following the curved street and taking a right to my house. Going left leads me up and above my church. On this hill I will pull over and sit in my car to look at the city lights. Every time I see those lights they put me in aw.

A bright array of city lights as far as I can see
The Great White Way shines through the night for all those like me
The cabarets and honky tonks, their flashing signs invite
A shaking heart to lose itself in the glow of city lights.

Lights that say "Forget their name in a glass of sherry wine"
Lights that offer others everywhere with pains just like mine.
They paint a pretty picture of a world that's joyous and bright
But it's just a mask for loneliness behind those city lights.

The world was dark and God made stars to brighten up the night
But God who put the stars above I don't believe made those lights
For it's just a place for us to cry when things don't turn out right
Just a place to run away and hide behind those city lights.

Lights that say "Forget their hate in a different atmosphere"
Lights that lure are nothing but a masquerade for tears
They paint a pretty picture but my arms can't hold them tight
And all that makes it past my lips is "I love you" to a street of city lights.