Sunday, July 11, 2010

W.O.W.


At the work pool party on Friday I invited my brother to come hear me speak. I didn't think he would actually come after I told him the topic (Being women of worth). But surprise surprise! He did! I was so so grateful. I love all of my brothers. And really appreciated that my brother would put forth the effort to come hear me speak.
My parents, along with Maria, Gabrielle, and Peter came. They are all so awesome!! Thank you.
And Sylvia, ha she is wonderful. She has been sick, and has a daughter with the flu, but still showed up. My family is just... Incredible. I love them so much.
It was the after girls camp sacrament meeting. And I enjoyed it.
Here is my talk for those that were not there, but asked if I could send/post a copy.


July 11, 2010

Women of Worth

Today I was asked to give an introduction of myself before I speak to you about being Women of Worth. So to begin with, my name is Leah Monsivais. I am the twelfth oldest, and only a few inches away from being the shortest of 16 biological children. I am a photographer and I go to Timpview High School. I started attending this ward at the beginning of June and come with my Sister-in-law Sylvia Monsivais.

As you all know the young women recently went to girls camp. Like a few others, I arrived a little late. But, as I walked up the hill to our cabins, Sister Brassfield smiled kindly at me and said: “Perfect timing Leah... We are about to clean the biffy!” Thats when I knew things could only get better from there.

The Stake Girls Camp theme for this year was “Women of Worth”. And while at camp, we were asked to memorize a quote by Sister Elaine Dalton, which is:

Young Women of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, remember who you are. You are elect. You are a daughter of God. You must have a courageous heart to 'arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for all the nations.' (D&C 115:5) The world would have you believe that you are not significant- yet each of you was born a queen.”

What a great reminder! We are elect, we are daughters of our Heavenly Father, we should all let our light be a positive standard for everyone to see. There is never a reason for us to lower our standards, or hide our light from others.

President Ezra Taft Benson once said:

Yes, give me a young woman who loves home and family, who reads and ponders the scriptures daily, who has a burning testimony of the Book of Mormon. Give me a young woman who faithfully attends her church meetings, who is a seminary graduate, who has earned her Young Womanhood Recognition Award and wears it with pride! Give me a young woman who is virtuous and who has maintained her personal purity, who will not settle for less than a temple marriage, and I will give you a young woman who will perform miracles for the Lord now and throughout eternity.”

At Girls Camp it is often times easier to be nice to all of the leaders and girls and to feel the spirit closer to you. After all, you are kind of stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

Seriously, though, it is really nice to be away from everything that we are so used to having around us. At camp we have the opportunity to think of what is most important to us in our lives. We do want that burning testimony, we do want to read and ponder the scriptures daily, we want to love being with our family members and to faithfully attend our church meetings.

Girls Camp is not just a week to get away, but a chance to ponder on our lives, where we want to be spiritually, and why we are here on Earth.

Sister Marianne Williamson tells us that:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually who are you not to be?

You are a Child of God!

Tall or short. Big or small. Rich or poor. Healthy or sick. Brown or hazel or blue or green eyed, we are Daughters of God. As we live our lives in a way that we can return back to our Heavenly Father, our worth will rise. We will be more valuable than rubies. We will be women worthy to enter the temple, and someone a returned missionary would want to take to the Temple.

I am grateful for the time I could spend at girls camp. It was a great feeling knowing I was there with a bunch of girls that share my same beliefs. The initials for Women of Worth spell out WOW. And when I look at the Young Women and Leaders that I have had the chance to spend time with all I can say about them is “Wow, they know who they are. They know they are daughters of God.” I enjoy the spirit that I feel when I am around them. I know they are all of great worth.

I say these things, In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.